Sunday 24 May 2015

Cold Burn of Magic by Jennifer Estep

For Estep readers, who know the Gin Blanco 'Spider' series, you will know what I mean when I say Lila is kind of like a very young Gin.

An abundance of energy with a will of steel, a tragic past and a need for vengeance.

Much like Gin, Lila also has a sort of mentor and guide, who watches over the orphan and her best interests. I think it is both interesting and surprising the way Estep has created a new character in an old environment. Indeed the popular recipe will probably work again, but I would really enjoy seeing her branch out and risk a few steps in new directions.

Of course that doesn't detract from the fact this is a good story for both younger and older readers. A good old  YA Urban Fantasy filled with magic and monsters. A reboot for Gin lovers.

Lila has made herself believe she doesn't need any family, but I think deep inside she understands how much she needs Mo and now perhaps even the members of her new employer's family. Everyone underestimates her powers and talents. Most importantly they have no idea just how tough she is under her girly exterior.

Despite having a healthy respect for her dangerous surroundings and the monsters lurking in the dark, she still has trouble controlling her gut reactions. It certainly does make for some awkward situations.

On a more personal note, I think I could do with my very own pixie to make my bed nd bring me treats. Where can I buy one? I will even take a bolshy one like Oscar. Added bonus to the story has to be the monster under the bridge. I need to make sure to take coins with me to pay the toll. Just in case.
I received a copy of this book courtesy of the publisher via NetGalley.

Buy Cold Burn of Magic (Black Blade #1) at Amazon Uk or go to Goodreads for any other retailer.

Read Dark Heart of Magic (Black Blade #2) and Bright Blaze of Magic.

More of the Estep's Elemental Assassin series here: Spider's TrapPoison PromiseThe SpiderThe Black Widow and Heart of Venom.

No comments:

Post a Comment