Friday 11 December 2015

Pop Sonnets by Erik Didriksen

I am a lover of Shakespeare. I watched the Voldemort meets Gerard Butler version of Coriolanus and read the original play at the same time, that's being a wee bit of a Shakespeare geek.

There is nothing quite like watching his work being performed by thespians, who understand the essence of his words and voice.

Didriksen makes a really good point in the foreword. Shakespeare is meant to seen and heard, and not just read.
He was not an author but a playwright: his work is intended not to be read but heard.
Pop Sonnets is the combination of Shakespeareanism vs the world of modern music. Erik Didriksen has written popular and contemporary songs in the form of Shakespearean sonnets.

It is what I would call a niche kind of book. It might not appeal to everyone. It is certainly a unique book. I am going to be buying myself a print copy, because I don't think the Kindle version does it real justice.

I received a copy of this book via NetGalley.
Buy Pop Sonnets at Amazon UK or go to Goodreads for any other retailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment